Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Mind of Disney: Disney Films Today, Animation Films, My Issues - Part 1/3

Hey guys,

I return with something different as usual haha and today I want discuss The Mind of Disney.  Now there are different things to discuss in regards to the Disney industry today.  A lot of people right off the bat would look at the current product on Disney Channel and nitpick with their shows & so forth.  Now I can understand and believe me I feel the same way on some things.  Of course some would argue, "well it's for kids, it's not meant for you" but this is different.  I will probably touch on that a little bit but for the most part it's relating to films and what is Disney putting out today on the big screen.  Now first off, I was a 90's kid.  I'm not going to deny that.  I did grow up watching some Disney films.  Honestly, I was more into Disney films than their tv shows.  Like I can remember some shows from the past but I can't say I was hooked on certain Disney shows.  But looking back on past Disney films, it did play a crucial part of my childhood and looking back on what was, it makes ya feel good.  Now I know from the get go, some people will say "that's just part of growing up", or "times change", and I understand that.  I'm 100% aware of that haha.  But recently, looking back on films then & films now.  Yes, time have changed but you can't ignore that certain animated films took off & were successful.

For example, just look at Toy Story.  A great film of it's time and big hit when it came out in 1995.  Fifteen years later, the franchise wraps up with Toy Story 3 which went on to become the highest grossing animated film of all time.  Here ya have a trilogy of films... each film was successful.  I grew up with this franchise.  I grew up with these characters.  So I'm wondering, where is that today? Because it seems like too me, Disney has lost that touch to make something or create something of that caliber or degree.  That certain film that would go on to be successful, spawn a lot of merchandise, and possibly future sequels.  Now some people could point out Shrek and yes to some degree, Shrek is a character or franchise that I would consider to be good example.  Because I enjoyed the first film (sequels are blah to me) but that went on to spawn a franchise, merchandise, and worldwide reception.  I will not deny Shrek of it's success.  However, Shrek is owned by Dreamworks.  So that's their baby and Dreamworks has done a great job of keeping that going.  But the thing with Disney is that for some reason, they struggle to get something off the ground & to take off.  Now of course they have Pixar films but it seems like most of the time, that's what Disney is good for.  You can tell they put more effort into Pixar films and yes, I will not deny they have done a good job with some Pixar films i.e. Cars, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, WALL-E, and so forth.  But aside from that, it's just too me whatever Disney comes up with is just filler crap.  I mean it just seems that way too me.  It's like if it's not Pixar then it's just mediocre quality films.

Now I know there are some films that are not meant for me and I understand that.  But I guess it's just the constant, incoherent garbage that I can't fathom sometimes.  Like I said, I give credit to Pixar and the work they have pulled off.  It's just there are certain Disney films that fall into that category of mediocrity or crap.  Let's name some films: G-Force, Cats & Dogs 2, Tooth Fairy, The Game Plan, Old Dogs, Mars Needs Moms, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, and so forth.  I mean the list goes on & on.  So yes I do believe most of these films fall into the category of crap because it seems to me that this is why Disney struggles to come up with something that could create an impact.  It's just a constant thing where it's like they will put out a Pixar film every 2 years or so but in between we have to deal with filler crap.  I don't know.  It's just they don't want to put in hard work & effort to make something with heart or something with charm.  I know a lot of these films are aimed for kids so why should I bash or nitpick with this genre? Well I guess part of me wishes that Disney would put more into their films.  It's like 20 years from now, are the kids of today are really going to remember G-Force? or are they really going to remember The Tooth Fairy? So it's just a matter of putting more effort into your films aside from what Pixar is doing.  Pixar is doing great & have establish great films for people to remember down the road.  They should not have to put out generic crap in between.  Take things simple by establishing a simple story, characters we can connect with & remember, and give films their charm again.  Films like G-Force, Mars Needs Mom, and Tooth Fairy don't have charm.  It's mediocre crap.  So overall, Disney should get off their high horse sometimes and put more into their films.  Be more creative.  Be more simple.  Use more thought.  Don't rely on so much, such as an abundance of CGI, constant usage of 3D tehcnology, or a gigantic budget to pull of something worthwhile.  Disney is better than that and overall, the industry deserves better films.

Any ways, it's been good discussing the first topic.  Yes it's been a lengthy topic but once I start venting or whatever it's hard to stop.  But I hope you enjoy this first part and stay tuned for Part 2 in which I'm going to discuss my thoughts about animated films & just different things in regards to Disney animation films.  Well it's been good & thanks for tuning in.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment